Monday, June 1, 2009

Into the hills

I had to ask how to pronounce the name of this town. It's "Chil-howie" and, according to the oldtimer who told me the pronunciation, it means "Valley of Many Deers." The sign below gives two possible meanings.


This was the first mountain I climbed. I think you can read the fascinating story on this plaque. Check the children's blog for a photo of the Black Snake that greeted me near this outlook.

On the other side of the mountain lies the town of Pulaski, where the rails are busy. I saw many freight containers with Chinese logos, a well as other languages I didn't know with certainty, perhaps Greek and Swedish.

I crossed the New River in Radford, took a side trip to Blacksburg to visit the UU church there on Sunday, and parked my van in the hay field of a wonderful couple who keep horses. I had the opportunity to speak about my Walk with a few folks at the church. Then on out of Christianburg into the rolling hills heading toward Roanoke.


Nancy Tate, who runs the Lepoco Peace Center in Bethlehem, gave me the name of her family church in Salem, just west of Roanoke, as a place to park overnight. I arrived on Sunday evening and found a very friendly group of members of the Green Hills Church of the Brethren, including the pastor and his family. I had a peaceful night in the parking lot of the church and coffee and conversation before I left this morning.

1 comment:

Bete said...

This past Sunday was Pentecost and so at Church we sang many songs speaking of the Spirit. It made me think of your walk and our planet. So, I made up a new verse for one song we sang. I love the refrain because it is sung in both Spanish and English. It goes like this:

Envia tu Espiritu
Send us your spirit
Sea renovada
Send out an renew
La faz de la tierra
the face of the earth

Wind of promise, wind of change, friend of the Earth
empower your people
to care for our planet

Envia tu Espiritu
Send us your spirit
Sea renovada
Send out an renew
La faz de la tierra
the face of the earth

As always I love your pictures, especially the one of the black house.